Caution: Wide Load
Lately, I've been finding myself getting really annoyed at people with large bags, especially when I'm on or around the metro. I always seem to be stuck behind some guy with his gym bag on the escalator or the lawyer who needs her file case beside her as she walks or the lady this morning who almost hit me in the face with her purse that was big enough to hold a small child as I was sitting reading The Express on the metro.
Now I understand the need for an extra bag or a larger bag to hold all of one's stuff. That's not my problem; my problem is more that people don't seem to realize just how big their bags are nor do they pay attention to how much room they are taking up while carrying them.
You would think that in a city where commuters get really annoyed when they can't walk on the left of the escalator a guy patiently standing on the right would realize that his gym bag is effectively cutting off the whole left hand side. And it wasn't like the bag was large; the man just needed to carry it 3 inches out from the side of his body.
Or that when the metro gets rather crowded and people are jostling around trying to let more people on, a woman with an extraordinarily large bag with hard sides and corners would pay attention to how close she's getting to the people sitting near her. Or maybe that she would pull her bag in closer to her body to take up a little less room. But no, she just swings the thing around on her shoulder and smacks into my Express a couple of times (one would also think that the noise of her hitting newpaper would have alerted her) almost hitting me in the face as she moves even closer.
I do realize that most people tend to zone out on the metro and won't always be aware that they're blocking someone behind them, but I think a little courtesy is in order. I can't see how it would be that hard to pay attention to the other people around you as you commute. It's not like having someone else around you should be a surprise during rush hour...
On a side note: No, I did not apologize to the girl I accidently kicked this morning when she literally moved right in front of me to avoid a biker (who was no where close to hitting her) even though we had been walking almost even. I'm talking moving a half foot in front of me with no warning at all. Pay attention people! This is not the world of ME!
Cheers.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home